This piece, whose theme is inspired by a biblical scene drawn from the Old Testament, represents an expressive study for an emblematic work with the same title, whose final version executed by the artist in marble is in the Museu Nacional de Soares dos Reis.

António Teixeira Lopes (1866–1942), was born in Vila Nova de Gaia. He studied in the Academia Portuense de Belas - Artes, as the pupil of Soares dos Reis and distinguished himself, gaining various prizes. He completed his studies in Paris, where he also achieved distinction, and later became teacher at the Escola de Belas-Artes do Porto.

He was especially renowned for monumental sculpture and portraiture, in which he specialised. Many of his works have been brought together at the Casa-Museu Teixeira Lopes, in Vila Nova de Gaia, the same house where he lived and had his workshop.